Thursday, May 7, 2009

Big Brother anyone?

Yesterday I answered a knock on my door to be greeted by a woman who said she was from the U.S.Census and was just checking to make sure this was my address....as she took a GPS reading of my front door.

She did not ask my name or how many people were living here or any of the other info one might expect to be asked by someone who was checking to make sure this was my address. When I asked her why the government needed a GPS reading on the location of my front door, she said she really didn't know, but suggested a few possibilities. When I pointed out that all of those possibilities were nonsense, as between Google Earth and the 911 system(not to mention street signs and numbers), I would think the government would be able to find my house. She agreed.

Then I told her that the only really plausible explanation I had heard, would be that the government would need the GPS coordinates to round people up in case martial law was declared and the government was using foreign, non-English speaking troops (or if the citizens had removed the street signs and house numbers for some reason-but I digress). She was taken aback at the idea and looked a little worried. I thanked her for the piece of paper she handed me outlining the legal ramifications of not cooperating with census takers and closed the door.

One would like to think such an idea is sheerest nonsense. I'm all for hearing a more reasonable explanation.

Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller?

" And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.
For the king said to Joab the captain of the host, which was with him, Go now through all the tribes of Israel, from Dan even to Beersheba, and number ye the people, that I may know the number of the people.
And Joab said unto the king, Now the LORD thy God add unto the people, how many soever they be, an hundredfold, and that the eyes of my lord the king may see it: but why doth my lord the king delight in this thing? " 2Sam 24:1-3

6 comments:

Terry Morris said...

If the citizens removed the street signs and house numbers? Now why would we ever do that? ;-)

By the way, Ferris is taking the day off.

Anonymous said...

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that more logical explanation you're looking for?

JDAMThese people aren't playing around with you. Believe it or not, they are serious about using everything they've got.

Call Me Mom said...

Terry,
Maybe we thought they were unlucky? National change your address celebration? Or perhaps we were overcome by a spirit of mischief?

Chiu,
Reassuring as your link wasn't, I can't imagine it would be cost effective-except in the case of eliminating targets who would have access to the MSM.

Anonymous said...

The point is to create fear of speaking out, not impose actual order. And JDAMs are actually pretty cheap compared to the cost of soldiers. You just attach the guidance package to a regular iron bomb.

A community, even if not very well armed, could imagine plenty of means of resistance to ground forces. But it would be an immense hurdle to think of a plausible defense against being precision bombed. Naturally this is the sort of idea that will be casually leaked in response to some kind of civil unrest. Then it will be vigorously denied, until the suddenly "law and order" hard left demands that "every option be examined", and then...?

Obama is a puppet. One must look to his puppeteers. And...look at that, none of them seem to find anything inappropriate about the idea of blowing up American buildings to make a point. Heck, I myself find it less offensive than the idea of handing the previous administration over to an international kangaroo court.

The key point is that this whole thing with having census workers knock on your door to inform you that they've taken your GPS coordinates is a total sham. They can get that information from aerial photography and a few known landmarks...or even just from property records, which record the exact lat-long coordinates of every corner of every patch of privately owned land in the United States. Heck, any of us could get that information from Google Earth. They have absolutely no reason to come to your door except to let you know that they know where you live.

The next step (or maybe the previous step, who knows) is to make people feel like their electronic communications are being monitored (which happens to be the case). Tell everyone what sorts of remarks will put them on a watch-list of "potential domestic terrorists" or "hate-criminals".

Is actually dropping bombs on American houses in the plan? Some of these people dream about really doing it, others think of it as a carefully calculated bluff. Either way it will probably happen at least a couple of times, the way things are going.

I believe it's a gross miscalculation, but remember who we're talking about.

Dr.D said...

Mom, how did she ask if this was your address if she did not ask your name? It is obvious that your front door represent "an address" but what makes it "your address" if she does not know who you are?

Call Me Mom said...

Chiu,
I agree with you that Mr. Obama is a puppet, a willing puppet, but a puppet nonetheless. The collectivist mindset is very "ends justifies the means" in regard to the elimination of a smaller group to serve the "greater good." I think you are correct in both the supposition that precision strikes will be used and that fear is the goal.

As for precision strikes, that makes me wonder if the census folks have been given military grade GPS units. I say this because civilian units are not as accurate as military units by law. The geocacher who explained this to me said it would take all the fun out of the search if you had a military unit because those would take you right to the cache, whereas civilian units can be off by ten to twenty feet.

I have to say that I have wondered if this process is random or if it is being targeted to those of us who have questioned government authority in one way or another.

Tea anyone?

Dr. D.
That's one of the things that was so odd, which is why I included it in the post. She said that they were just confirming that this was my address, but never asked who I was.

Maybe the GPS unit has a camera to take a photo of whoever answers the door. Maybe she was just a bit flustered at having someone ask her about the GPS unit and forgot, or maybe she just misspoke.