Friday, September 24, 2010

And Liberty and Justice for all...

Those are the words of our Pledge of Allegiance. Those are the heart of America, just as her soul is reflected in the phrase "One Nation, Under God". We rely on the fact that the people around us who are reciting that pledge with us do so with the same ideals in mind.
For me, those ideals include the notion that we are all equal under the law.

Today, I have seen a confirmation that my fellow citizens do indeed believe, as do I, that justice should be applied equally to all American citizens, and also that our government, at it's highest levels has gone terribly astray.

Today, DOJ employee Christopher Coates has responded to a subpoena, against the orders of his employers at the DOJ, to testify before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights about the equal enforcement of the law. He invoked whistle blower protections to do so.

As proud as I am to see this fellow American stand up to the DOJ,(that's Department of Justice for those who are wondering) I am still appalled that it was necessary. PJTV has posted Mr. Coates testimony. This is something that every citizen of our nation needs to know, regardless of your political or even your ideological views.

The actions of the Department of Justice in this matter are incomprehensible to me. I remind myself that we are all just human beings and everyone makes mistakes, but I am sorely disappointed in these folks nonetheless. The spirit of America has been betrayed by the very folks trusted with upholding it and trust, once lost is not easily restored.

I plan to read Mr. Coates' testimony on Wednesday's show.

"He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler." ~ Psalm 91:4

No comments: