Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Health Care

I've been reading a lot about the health care legislation of late, which is not surprising, given that it is one of Mr. Obama's priorities. I'm thinking there are some things that need to be said that aren't being said with regard to this legislation.

First and foremost is "What's the hurry?" Our health care system could use some improvement, I'll grant you, but a complete overhaul with over 1000 pages of legislation that some of our elected officials, like Mr. Conyers, will not even read before casting their vote? (A notion I find appalling as, in my understanding, that is the job of our elected legislators, to read and understand proposed legislation before voting on it. Mr Bilbray is with me on this one.) I understand that the republicans (not to be confused with conservatives) have come up with a different health care reform plan that is unlikely to even see the light of day, thanks to the changes in procedures enacted shortly after the democrats took control of both houses.

It seems to me that we are not even framing the debate in correctly. First one must define the problem. All I am hearing in the MSM is that the problem is that health care costs too much and that the free market didn't work for health care. In my experience we don't have a free market system in health care so how could it affect anything?

I recall shortly after moving about 10 years ago that I was incensed that I could not get a straight answer to a few simple questions when I was looking for a new doctor. Those questions? "How much does it cost for an office visit with each of the doctors who are currently accepting new patients?" and "How much does it cost for a throat culture?" Only one of the health care businesses I called could answer those questions. They were a family practice. (By which I mean a family of doctors who had set up their own offices.) and I only called them because they they were mistakenly on the list of local in-network providers given to us by my husband's new employer.

How can we call this a free market? How would you shop if the salesclerk in a grocery store refused to tell you how much anything cost until after you had purchased it, taken it home and consumed it? That's essentially what most in-network service providers do. They say they have no choice, because different insurance plans cover different things at different percentages and the prices are set by someone else and on and on and on. (Gov.'t regulation plays a part in that as well.) Even when I provided them with the name of my husband's new employer and the insurance carrier, these clinics were unable to provide that basic level of consumer information. (The private practice didn't deal with insurance and made a point of saying that they would have to charge me more because it would cost them more clerical time to get their payment from my insurance - and they were able to tell me how by how much my cost was increased.)

I think if we made clinics publish their prices for various services (Please note I did not say have the government set their prices), that consumers could bring down health care costs pretty quickly through informed decision making and free market competition.

The second issue that really has an affect on health care prices is tort reform. By this I mean that the cost of malpractice insurance has become so prohibitive that many doctors simply cannot afford to continue to practice. If we limit the damages that can be awarded for liability, this would have a huge affect on the cost of health care.

Neither of these solutions would require the federal government to have a mandatory medical database containing the medical records of each and every American citizen with no opt out for those who don't care to share that information with whatever government employee has access and time on their hands. They would not require government rationing of health care or government guidelines on who can be treated or for which treatments are allowable for which people. (Wouldn't want to waste money treating old people or people with incurable diseases-they're going to die soon anyway-right?) Nor would they require huge tax increases or affect current medicare or medicaid programs.

Our form of government is designed to let our legislators deliberate, slowly and carefully before voting on legislation that affects the American people. What crisis is requiring such a push now? Why in the world should a bill this size and this costly to the American people be voted on virtually without review and debate, much less passed?

"To me belongeth vengeance and recompence; their foot shall slide in due time: for the day of their calamity is at hand, and the things that shall come upon them make haste." ~Deut 32:35

10 comments:

Dr.D said...

Mom, I think that there are two flaws with your analysis:
1) that it is really about bringing down the cost of health care - its not, health care costs will skyrocket;
2) that it is about health care at all - its not, it is about controlling people.

I think the biggest single factor to getting costs down would be to make it unprofitable for lawyers to file suits suits that should not have been filed. This could be done by greatly reducing the payoff from medical malpractice claims, and secondly by making a lawyer pay a major part of the cost for a failed suit. This would slow them down a whole lot. As it is, they make gobs of money, win or lose, so it is always win-win for the lawyers in every case. It is just a question of do they strike the jackpot or not on a particular case. This has got to stop. This will not happen because Congress is largely made up of lawyers, but you can see the problem we have.

The real problem with ObamaCare is it is a means to bring every person in the country (except for the privileged few) down to a poverty level of care by creating scarcity and then creating a bureaucracy to manage that scarcity. There are provisions in the bill to allow the government to directly tap your back account, and there are provisions to require suicide advice for seniors at regular time intervals. It is a hideously immoral bill, but then that is the kind of people that wrote it.

As for Conyers, don't be too hard on him. He does not have the intellect to understand it, even if he read it and had it explained to him line by line. That's why he is in Congress.

Call Me Mom said...

Dr. D.
Thank you for your patience and my apologies for taking so long to post your comment. I was visiting family for a few days.

I agree that it is about controlling people rather than costs. I have been skimming the bill and many of the provisions are so out of line with the values this country was founded on, as well as even the current PC values, that I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting this behemoth to pass.
Did you know it includes provisions for counseling people about when they should have children? Did you know that it includes provisions to force everyone in the country to be in a government administered healthcare database? No opt out option. You will be identified in this database by a healthcare card that will give the government access to your finances as well, so that in a dispute about how much you should pay, the government can just use your card to take money out of your bank account. This card will also let the government know what kind of financial shape you are in so they can determine how much you should pay for your healthcare.
Then there is the euthanasia counseling and abortions.
I'm terribly appalled.

Joe said...

Thanks for the visit. You have a nice blog.

I absolutely agree with you about being apalled.

This bill, and I have read it all - as currently proposed -, should frighten people! The fact that it doesn't scare some is evidence of the willingness of most Americans to be sheep...led in this case to the slaughter.

Call Me Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by Joe. You've read the whole thing? I'm impressed. I only skimmed it and I'm scared.

Joe said...

See, I make what many people think are outlandish statements, often before anybody else is making them, an so I get called a liar, fearmonger, etc.

So...I am very careful not to make statements of fact until I have completely checked them out...at least I try.

I didn't want to be accused of misrepresenting "the bill," so I read the whole thing and made certain my "crazy" statements were in context, etc.

I noticed that today, Rush Limbaugh was making some of the same statements about the bill that I made.

That proves he was right.

(??)

Call Me Mom said...

I try to read it, but I keep getting caught up in the unintended consequences rabbit trails of thought. Then I think about the things that are being said by this administration and this Congress and I start thinking those consequences aren't unintentional.

I haven't listened to Rush for several years now, but I found him very entertaining and usually spot on when I did.

Terry Morris said...

Mom wrote:

I understand that the republicans (not to be confused with conservatives) have come up with a different health care reform plan that is unlikely to even see the light of day,...

Can someone kindly explain to me why the federal government involves itself in 'healthcare' ... at all?

Call Me Mom said...

I've yet to hear a good answer for that one, Terry. Apparently, our elected representatives are of the opinion that "something" must be done to stop rising healthcare costs.

The only thing I can think of (aside from the controlling people through it aspect) is that the costs of medicare and medicaid are growing so quickly(and infecting other health care costs by doing so) that they would've bankrupted the nation in another few decades by themselves. Of course that's the fault of Cogress too. So maybe they are thinking they need to fix what they broke and that if they present it properly, no one will notice they broke it.

Which also doesn't address the question of why the government is involved in healthcare at all.

My husband just sent me an article indicating that government is now going to cut private lenders out of the student loan business. So, they will control who gets healthcare, what kind of cars are available to drive, where we bank and who gets an education? Welcome to the monoply of Amerika where the government will direct you from cradle to grave.

Dr.D said...

There seems to be no one left in the Republican party, except Dr. Ron Paul, who will stand up and say that the government has no business in most of the things it does.

The Republicans have morphed into being Democrats Lite, which is to say that they are both statists, both think that every problem must be solved by the state, and everything run by the state. This is far, far away from our Constitutional form of government, but they see that document simply as an impediment, and the sooner forgotten the better from their perspective.

Congress no longer sees itself at all in the role of public servants, but rather as the nobility of the land, our rulers. They will dictate to us what we will do and we will like it (as they see it). This is why we have a revolution coming with certainty.

Call Me Mom said...

Dr. D. I have been referring to the Republican party as Democrat Lite for some time now, so I find your comment to that effect timely.

I have recieved another e-mail, from an organization called Parental Rights.org. "By now many of you are discovering first-hand that federal HIPAA law violates your parental rights. If you have received notice from your doctor or insurance requiring your child's permission to discuss medical records, we need to hear from you as we prepare to take action. Please email Michael(michael@parentalrights.org) - and may we please have your phone number to call you back?"

So much to blog on, so little time. Gotta run for right now. Hopefully I will have some time tonight.