Monday, January 10, 2011

Even the Left can do Better


My condolences to the families and friends of the victims of Jan. 8th's shooting. My prayers for a speedy recovery for those who may recover. My prayers too, for the family of the shooter as well as the shooter himself, for they are surely also in need of fervent and effectual prayer.


Shortly after reading of the tragic murders of Judge John Roll, Congressional staff member Gabrielle Zimmerman, young Christina Green, Dorothy Murray, Dorwin Stoddard and Phyllis Schneck, I looked to the comments section of the article and was truly shocked by what I read.

The majority of comments were using this terrible event to justify vilifying their political opponents. The majority of these comments were also of the "progressive" persuasion, thus the title of this article, although I saw a few from the other side of the spectrum as well. Have we really come to this?

Are we really so heartless and jaded that our first thoughts after such an event turn to ways to politicize it? Have we lost so much common courtesy and good sense so as to pass judgement without even having the facts available to us? And further to turn such horror into political expediency?

Even worse, I have seen articles today titled "Congress Reacts...". Is that really what Congress is to do? React rather than think? React with feel good, freedom crushing legislation rather than looking at the foundations of this nation and recognizing that our base position of freedom prohibits such a reaction? Apparently the reading of our nation's Constitution hasn't sunk in yet. In the words of Benjamin Franklin:"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

The bottom line is that such tragedies will occur as long as there are people. Sometimes, people don't do what they ought or they are mentally ill, as was apparently, the case here. However, to take an isolated tragedy and use it to play politics before the people injured have barely even been helped is obscene.

In my own opinion, the removal of God and the derision of Christian values are at the heart of such callousness. I could be wrong, but no matter the cause, this is an indicator of something gone seriously amiss with those who would behave in this manner. In another quote, by Mr. Franklin, not the most religious of men by repute, he says:"I believe there is one Supreme most perfect being. ... I believe He is pleased and delights in the happiness of those He has created; and since without virtue man can have no happiness in this world, I firmly believe He delights to see me virtuous."

We can do better and I think most of us are aware that we should. For those, vocal few who are not, I suggest reading the Bible first and then a copy of Miss Manners guide to etiquette. While neither of these resources are likely to directly address the situation that unfolded Saturday, they should at least give those who lack one a starting place.

"And David said unto him, Fear not: for I will surely shew thee kindness for Jonathan thy father's sake, and will restore thee all the land of Saul thy father; and thou shalt eat bread at my table continually. "~ 2 Sam 9:7

8 comments:

a12iggymom said...

Sarah Palin has blood on her hands.

Soapbox Jill said...

I agree wholeheartedly that this tragic act should not be politicized. But some on the left are so desperate to silence the right they want throw anything they can at the wall and see what sticks.
I like the Franklin quote. And, of course, our God IS Love. Love is sorely lacking in our world, as has always been the case.

Call Me Mom said...

iggymom,
I have to say that I'm a bit surprised at your post. Would you care to expand on that thought?

If not, then my answer would be, "as do we all". The mental health system in this nation needs some work. We need to enable families and other caretakers the ability to work with health professionals to find the best solution for each individual patient. Sometimes that will mean institutionalization and other times just medication and reasonable supervision. To allow the mentally ill to be without the social support structure that humans need and without proper treatment is simply foolish all the way around. But we do not live in a perfect world.

Jill,
I think you will enjoy the radio show today. It's on at 3:00pm instead of my usual 1:30 time slot. (I had a conflict.)

DR said...

As usual, excellent post. I cannot believe the hate that is being spewed by the left as they attempt to use this tragedy for their own gain.

a12iggymom,

What are you talking about? The only one with blood on their hands is the evil man that perpetrated the shooting.

Steve said...

You call it obscene to "take an isolated tragedy and use it to play politics before the people injured have barely even been helped". Yet your very next sentence, "...the removal of God and the derision of Christian values are at the heart of such callousness", uses the tragedy to advance your own point of view.

Call Me Mom said...

Steve,
Welcome to the blog.

Yes, I did push my own view. However,the wounded had been under a physician's care for days when I posted this. It is not wrong or even beyond the bounds of courtesy to posit causes at this point.

Furthermore, I was not vilifying political parties or specific individuals in presenting my opinion. I was not using obscenely using the event to push a political ideaology or any peice of legislation.

Nor was I making unfounded statements about the political ideaologies of either the perpetrator or the victims.

I was lamenting a societal change, which, in my opinion, has left us all the poorer in character as well as courtesy.

a12iggymom said...

Ahhh, I see an imposter. Too chicken to use their own moniker. Get a life lefty loon...
I do believe it is a disgruntled poster who I refuse to let comment on my page, I screen all comments now...Sorry to all who were taken in and thanks for the 'heads up' Mom...

Call Me Mom said...

Welcome to the blog a12iggymom,

I rather thought that didn't sound like you. As for the heads up, "We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately."~B. Franklin

I know you would do the same for me. :)