Friday, January 21, 2011

Hear What the Unjust Judge Saith - A Test of Persistence

In the book of Luke, there is a parable about an unjust judge. The lesson in this parable is that even an unjust judge will give in to persistence. Today I have started an experiment. An experiment of faith in which I hope you will all join me.

Today I have made the first of what I expect to be several calls to my senators. The first call was to Senator Ron Johnson. Senator Johnson supports the repeal of Obamacare. I called Senator Johnson to let him know I support him in voting to repeal Obamacare. I only expect that I will call Senator Johnson a few times. This call and perhaps another just before the vote is scheduled.

The second call I made was to Senator Kohl. Senator Kohl supported Obamacare. My call to Senator Kohl was to let him know that I would prefer that he would vote to repeal Obamacare. This was the first of what will probably be several calls to Senator Kohl. My intention is to call every single day until Obamacare is repealed.

Senator Reid has determined that he will not allow the repeal of Obamacare to come to the senate floor for a vote. He has said that he will not be influenced by the fact that the house has passed that repeal of Obamacare. In refusing to bring Obamacare to the floor of the senate for a vote, Senator Reid is engaging in parliamentary tricks.

This is not the purpose of such parliamentary procedures. Parliamentary procedures are to ensure that there is a reasonable pace to a meeting or proceeding, not to block the purpose of that meeting or proceeding. To use parliamentary procedures to block legislation that his party does not like or that his progressive colleagues do not like, is underhanded and unworthy of a senator of the United States of America. Mr. Reid is not my senator, but that does not mean that I cannot have an affect on senator Reid through my senators.

It is my intention to call my senator, Senator Kohl, every day until Obamacare is repealed or at least until the senate has brought it to the floor and voted on it. The point of the parable in Luke is that even an unjust judge will give in to persistence. I plan to see if that is so, and if by my persistence, Senator Kohl can be brought to vote to repeal Obamacare. Furthermore, I encourage every citizen of these United States, who has a senator that supports Obamacare, to do the same thing. I am not suggesting that you harass your senator. I am merely saying call them every day, once, and let them know that you want Obamacare repealed. Be polite and cheerful when you call. Be nice to the aide who answers the phones.

In this blog I have chosen to end if every post with a verse or two (or sometimes more) of the Bible. I have done this because I have a deep and abiding faith in the truth of the word of God. The Lord has assured us that His word will not return void. Perhaps I am being foolish, but I intend to test the notion that even an unjust judge will give in to persistence and I hope all of you will join me in this effort.

" And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.
And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? " ~ Luke 18:1-8

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came across your blog as I was looking for some quotes to use for a Bible Study on Luke 18:1-8. Though I think that you've got the idea of persistence down, I also think that you've missed the point of the widow. She had nothing, she needed help, she needed the judges help. She may have only been but a teenager, and needed provision. And I actually think Obamacare may be this provision for some people in our society. There are so many people who can't afford healthcare out there, and without health insurance, they can't go see a doctor, and it actually ends up costing our hospitals and clinics a lot more cause they just have to eat the costs when people come in super sick because they didn't have access to healthcare before that.
And to be completely honest, I'm a missionary and I raise my own support, and after about four years of consistently working on raising support, I'm still not at a place where I can afford health insurance. I'm really looking forward to Obamacare because then I'll be able to afford health insurance for myself and my family.
So, though you may be persistent in calling your senator, I think there are probably many people out there who have been persistent in praying and asking the government for a better way to take care of our less fortunate and here it is.

Call Me Mom said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for stopping by the blog. I appreciate the difficulty of your situation, but you chose to become a missionary. Just as many people choose professions that don't pay them much. My husband and I don't make all that much either and it is unlikely that we will be able to afford either the mandated health insurance or the fines for not having any. (Even if we were inclined to purchase it-which we are not. We have a civic duty to refuse to comply with unconstitutional laws or to allow the government to infringe upon our unalienable rights beyond the natural limitations of those rights.)

That's not the point. The bottom line is that it is not the job of the government to provide health care or to regulate who will recieve health care and who will not or to choose our doctors and dictate what remedies they may use to heal us.

Right now, anyone in this nation, legal or not, can get emergency care. Yes, that will put them in debt, but they will get the care they need. Those who need medications that they cannot afford can usually get those drugs for free from the programs set up by the pharmaceutical companies. Many doctors volunteer their time and talents for free in clinics across the country. All those things will be regulated out of existence under obamacare.

In addition, we will be losing many of our current health care professionals. Why? Because they will be reduced to button pushers. They will make a diagnosis (At least for those patients who get permission to see them.)and enter that diagnosis into a computer that will go through a government program and tell them what treatments they are to recommend, even if they know that those treatments will not be effective. If they decide to bypass that treaatment, they will be fined ~$100,000...for the first offense. The second offense will include jail time. That doesn't sound like a good change to me.

If the government really wanted to lower health care costs, they would have enacted tort reform and de-regulated the industry to eliminate the beaureaucratic hurdles that increase the costs unnecessarily.

There are also hundreds of unrelated things in the bill that was passed. Add to those the innumerable regulations that will be added to our health care system and you have a signifigant reduction in our essential freedoms.

I am sad that you have that worry, but sadder still that you seem to think that stealing from others to give you that "insurance" is the right thing to do. Has God not met your health care needs? Perhaps you should consider a different line of work. Your faith needs to be placed in God, not the government.

Further,I don't recall the Bible saying anywhere that it is okay to steal from one person to give to another simply because they are poor. We are to give to the poor and care for each other, but that is a strictly personal decision.

This is NOT a better way to meet the health care needs of those who need that help the most. It is merely one more step down the road to tyranny.