Friday, April 9, 2010

To Affirm or Not to Affirm, That is the question.

The American College of Pediatricians has weighed in with an opinion on whether or not schools should encourage a student to declare a sexual preference. (And why is this the business of any school, might I ask? I thought schools were supposed to be teaching.) Their answer is a resounding "NO".

They have sent a letter to several school superintendents saying as much. Their reasons are that, while many students may feel some same sex attraction during their years of hormonal maturation, the great majority will settle solidly into heterosexuality by the time they are 25. Further they state that by encouraging students to act according to these fluctuating impulses, teachers may actually be doing them a disservice due to the many, many health risks, physical and mental, associated with homosexual behavior.

There is a new organization formed by pediatricians which claims to be non-religious and non-partisan that has put up their shingle at factsaboutyouth.com .
I encourage parents and school staff/administrators to check it out. I do have a religious bias and I freely admit it. Along with my Christian bias, my serious objections to the homosexual lifestyle have their roots in a concern for and love of people. (Even the ones that thoroughly annoy me.)

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. "~ 1 Corinthians 13:1-3

1 comment:

Dr.D said...

"Further they state that by encouraging students to act according to these fluctuating impulses, teachers may actually be doing them a disservice due to the many, many health risks, physical and mental, associated with homosexual behavior."

This is a remarkably intelligent statement for a professional group to make, almost radically so. It suggests that other professionals may not know what they are doing (bingo!). Rarely do we such forthright, direct statements of the obvious today.