Saturday, October 3, 2009

Why do I even turn the thing on?

I turned on the television the other night (well actually very early morning-I tend to be a night owl) to find a show titled "My Super Sweet Sixteen" or some such thing. I was horrified to discover that the premise of the program was to glorify rampant consumerism and the celebrity lifestyle at the expense of the character of some rather spoiled American children.

I have seen this program a few times now and I'm truly appalled. These children manipulate their parents into spending unseemly amounts of money to satisfy their wish to throw the "biggest party ever". On the face of it, there seems to be a fascination with the celebrity lifestyle into which these children are attempting to buy their way. In reality one can see children desperately seeking for limits and sincere friends. I say that because there is no end to the demands these children put on their parents-expensive new cars, jewelry, dress codes for the guests, exotic animals, bands etc. But, when the time comes to distribute the invitations, on more than one occasion, their "friends" are not where they were supposed to be. Perhaps this is simply poor planning on the part of the show's producers or a naive expectation that of course "everyone" would be waiting on the whims of these wealthy young people. In either case, these children often choose to simply give invites to whoever happens to be hanging around. To me this appears to be a desperate bid for friendship. One that is doomed to fail, because money can't buy you friends.
These children (one of whom, appalling in and of itself, was the child of the minister of the city's largest Christian church), clearly understand that true friendship is a valuable thing and equally clearly, they understand or believe that their "friendships" may not be trustworthy due to their wealth. They do not seem to trust those whose friendship they claim and seek to deepen those relationships through vacuous displays of wealth and celebrity like behavior. Their parents may not have provided a foundation of logical thinking whereby they should be able to objectively evaluate their relationships and be content with them.

These shows are a parental "FAIL" in more ways than one. I hope that, upon viewing the programs, these parents will be able see themselves and their roles in the upbringing of their children more appropriately. I hope it gives them the fortitude to exercise appropriate limits and give their children the guidance they are so clearly craving. Otherwise these children will remain as pathetic and needy as they were at the time of their parties and that would be a very sad thing.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. "~ 1Tim 6-12

7 comments:

Dr.D said...

Mom, you have got way to much time on your hands! Go to bed and get up in the morning and work harder at something productive.

You are indicating that you have now watched this several times? I am really amazed! You really do need more to do.

Call Me Mom said...

They had one of those deals where they show multiple episodes in a row. It was a bad night for sleeping and VCY was off air. Otherwise I entirely agree with you.

Terry Morris said...

I've seen these shows before, and you're right, they're apalling to say the very least.

I don't think I can altogether agree with Dr. D.'s point abuout ignoring this abject stupidity. For instance, if you want to see how money and power and status in no way makes a person a better person, but very often worse, just watch a single episode of the falsely named "Real Housewives of Atlanta" and the like. But you'll need to watch several episodes in order to understand exactly where these self-indulgent, self-proclaimed "self-made" (which in actuality are anything but) people are coming from.

BTW, if I could possibly sleep more than an average of four hours a night, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd jump on it like white on rice. :-)

Dr.D said...

So, Terry, are you advocating these shows as a source of education? Was that your point? Surely we don't need to go to that sort of a low source for the obvious!

Four hours a night is not enough. That will make an old man out of you before your time. Trust in God and worry less about tomorrow.

Terry Morris said...

Not really. I wasn't advocating them, I was slightly disagreeing with your position that these kinds of 'entertainment' have absolutely no value whatsoever, educational or otherwise. The key operable word here being slightly. Besides, what is obvious to you and me and Mom isn't necessarily quite so obvious to someone else.

Tom said...

Just an FYI, but I left a response to the "natural born citizen" post at Doug's blog, addressing your points. The post fell off to the second page, so you might not see it. For what it's worth anyway..

Call Me Mom said...

Tom,
(I have no choice but to assume you are the person who posts as "Thomas" on Political Pistachio. If I am in error, please correct me.)Thank you for the notification. I do check the "notify me" box when I post comments to other blogs, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness in letting me know of your reply. I did check the comments on that thread today and was unable to see any comments following my last reply to you. Nor did I see an option to go to a second page of comments.