Friday, September 20, 2013

Update on LRB-0413/1 to protect our kids

Update 2: The legislation never got referred to the committee and as a result must be re-introduced next session. Unfortunately, Rep Kestell is retiring and Sen Leibham is running for Congress, so both of my legislators, who acted as sponsors for this legislation are likely to be gone(although I will grant that Mr. Leibham will have stiff competition for Rep Petri's seat in Sen Grothman.)  I own to some disappointment. You may see the latest update here. 

UPDATE: This has now been released as AB 390 in the Assembly and SB 309 in the Senate and referred to the Education committee. I will update again as I receive word.

Sen Leibham's aide, Lucas, has informed me that there are 11 legislators who have signed on as co-sponsors. He says the next step is for the bill to be formally introduced, receive a bill number, and be referred to a committee for consideration yet this week. 
 The 11 co-sponsors are:
From the Senate
Leibham
Taylor
Gudex
Vukmir

And from the Assembly:
Kestell
Bies
Born
Johnson
Larson
Pridemore
Ripp

For those in their districts, please call them and thank them for co-sponsoring. If your State Senator/Representatives are not on this list, please call them and let them know you support this legislation and think they should too.

 The grant of in loco parentis authority used by educators and admin is based upon the assurances of the government that those who we hire to administer and teach in our public school system are worthy of being trusted with our children. The bottom line is that putting my child in danger without notifying me says they are NOT worthy of that trust. It is a shame that this should be so, but the failure to recognize the dividing line between acting in the best interests of the child and acting as an agent of law enforcement means we need to show them where it is.

" If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children.
 When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;
 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
 Surely thou didst set them in slippery places: thou castedst them down into destruction."
~Psalm 73:15-18

No comments: